couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Schwarz <ben.schw...@gmail.com>
Subject Nightly and binary builds
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:20:09 GMT
Hi,

I'm building the first new product for my business using couch, we're using
cloudant.com for persistance on our first builds - Between scouring the documentation
online as soon as its been updated and chatting to developers in #couchdb on irc

I've found that alot of focus is on 0.11, due to its newer features - Yet there is no stable
release?!

The issue here is two fold, the barrier to entry is raised significantly higher than it should
be:

	- CouchDB can be a very lengthy install from source (Thanks to erlang)
	- There are no nightly binaries

As a follower of the macruby project, I've found that I log more bugs because I'm able to
install a nightly of macruby without much of an investment to keep up with the details of
LLVM
and its other dependencies.

	http://macruby.icoretech.org/

As for the 'binary' - While I was evaluating other NoSQL solutions I found that mongo is available
in binaries. You're able to download it, untar it and execute it straight away.
(We're talking less than 1 minute to have a running server)

I believe that if these problems are solved that there will be a huge influx of users who
are able
to test edge code, file bug reports and feel closer to the development without going to the
lengths
of reading commits to the source tree.

Please consider this as an urgent item for completion.

Very relaxed,

--

Ben Schwarz
Web architect

Web:		http://www.germanforblack.com
Mobile: 		+61 407 339 418

--
Please consider your environment before printing or distributing this material.