couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan <jdkne...@gmail.com>
Subject Making CouchDB crypto dependency optional
Date Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:17:11 GMT
Devs,

In the course of trying to get CouchDB running on a SheevaPlug running
Ubuntu 9.04, I'm having issues getting the Erlang crypto library up and
running - the armv5te architecture makes binary packages scarce/out-of-date,
and the limited storage space makes compilation of all the dependencies from
source difficult.  A grep through the CouchDB 0.10.1 source shows that there
are 5 actual calls into the crypto library, calling the functions: start/0,
sha/1, rand_bytes/1, rand_uniform/2, and sha_mac/2.

I've created a pure-Erlang copy of this API (that attempts to fallback to
the crypto library if possible) at http://gist.github.com/279085.  The
random stream isn't cryptographically secure of course, but it should work
for generating UUIDs...

I'm not skilled enough to integrate this into my source tree, so I was
wondering if I could get any pointers on patching it in to a build to test,
and if the team would be interested in the contribution?

Thanks very much,

Jonathan