couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Objective criteria
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2010 01:19:26 GMT

On Jan 13, 2010, at 3:37 PM, Roger Binns wrote:

> Chris Anderson wrote:
>>> The ticketing system should be for smaller scope issues, I think.
>
> I see it more as a "don't forget about this" plus somewhere for others to
> say "this also affects me" or "here is additional information/angles".
> Obviously there is a fine line between that kind of thing and a discussion.
> My big concern is that the issue was hashed out here over a few days then
> the thread goes dead, and the issue is forgotten.  A JIRA report of open
> issues should be a todo list of bugs to fix and improvements to make.

That's fine, the issue is that bugs saying "It's too slow" is always true for someone. Many
people find the view indexing performance just fine, many do not.

Since CouchDB makes no performance or size guarantees, you can't call the general performance
a bug. Unless you have specific bug to fix, or enhancement to make, don't use JIRA. Use the
dev mailing list to make your case, see if someone will produce a patch or find a measurable
bottleneck that can be addressed. JIRA is not the place for discussions about the design of
CouchDB components. Neither is IRC.

Also, if you want something without view performance problems but similar to CouchDB, you
should look at MongoDB.

-Damien