couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-WIllem van Gulik <dirk-willem.van.gu...@bbc.co.uk>
Subject Re: Making CouchDB crypto dependency optional
Date Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:43:33 GMT
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 1:23 AM, Jonathan <jdknezek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik <

> Dirk-Willem.van.Gulik@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

>> Sorry - that is the algorithm - not the *implementation*.

>> If you wrote it from scratch - just using documents like above - then you
>> are good (and all that is needed is a software grant from you - or a
>> contribution under a CLA - and point to the document as the source.).

> Excellent, thanks very much for the clarification - I'm thoroughly
> inexperienced when it comes to licensing.  My code was based off of
> pseudocode listed on Wikipedia and so (I believe) would fall under the
> CC-BY-SA license - I've updated the Jira issue as appropriate.  Thank you
> for catching this early.

If you take a very firm black and white stance - completely agreed.

You could do three things:

-	Rewrite it based on http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3174.txt or
	http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/fip180-1.htm.

-	Abide by the CC-by-SA which is apache compatible enough and
	cut-and-paste in all the legal verbiage - that just adds a lot of
	silly bytes to the overall code though.

-	Convince the PMC that this is a sufficiently grey case where you fairly
	used a scholarly  work or  encyclopedia to base your code on - and then
	fudge it a bit with a link to the CC-by-SA and the wiki page - also given
	the fact that the likelihood of 1) an issue is small and 2) would propably
	feel that a /* comment */ with a pointer to the right wiki page is
	what they would expect. As they license/manage knowledge rather
	than control running code.

I think this is a perfectly gray case - and you should be able to get away with each - the
PMC can make the ultimate call.

Thanks,

Dw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are
not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify
the sender immediately.