couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <>
Subject Re: authentication cleanup
Date Fri, 25 Dec 2009 15:40:07 GMT
On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 00:58, Chris Anderson <> wrote:
>> So I think I'm gonna switch to docids like ""
>> and "user:Monty4eva". If this is a stupid idea please convince me not
>> to do it.
> Making the user IDs the document IDs seems to make sense, but I'm not
> sure what the user: prefix (which seems a little ugly) buys you.

The reasoning is that applications may also want to have user profile
documents correlated with CouchDB auth documents. If we namespace our
user docs, we're less likely to cause spurious conflicts when people
do things like replicate the users db into their application db.

My current code is using ""
because the fully qualified name makes it even less likely that people
will think it's a good idea to have applications which use the same
docid namespace.

> Are there documents in the users database that are not users?

Not yet, but who knows what the next hundred years will bring. :)

> Cheers,
> Dirkjan

Chris Anderson

View raw message