couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Zicari <robe...@zicari.de>
Subject ODBMS.ORG News: On NoSQL technologies.
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:43:28 GMT
ODBMS.ORG News December 15, 2009

New expert article "On NoSQL technologies.Part I". Published.

December  15, 2009 -- ODBMS.ORG, a vendor-independent non-profit
group of high-profile software experts lead by Prof. Roberto V.
Zicari, has exclusively published a new expert article "On NoSQL technologies".

The article presents a number of interviews done by Prof. Zicari,
Editor of ODBMS.ORG, with a number of leading experts on their
views on the current status and future of the so called NoSQL technologies.

Patrick Linskey, formerly leader of the EJB team at BEA which
designed and implemented the WebLogic Server EJB 3.0 solution,
commented on the topic cloud store: "The new cloud stores are
focused on filling the gaps where most RDB alternatives fall
flat. The way they do it, of course, is by getting rid of
problematic features. Cloud stores are intentionally designed to
scale. More importantly, cloud stores aren't fully ACID, in the
traditional sense of the term."

To the question if object databases can be considered NoSQL
technologies, Robert Charles Greene, V.P. Open Source
Operations,at Versant Corporation commented: "I see the core
message being conveyed as, one size does not fit all when it
comes to data management."
This can be considered a change of attitude as Mr. Greene pointed
out: "That's a far cry from abandoning the SQL approach to data
management and in my mind leaves little to defend, though some
seem to feel threatened enough by the catch phrase to sound the alarm.
In some sense, this notion that "one size does not fit all" is an
important  change in attitude, because for many years one size
fits all was prevalent."

The article also includes interviews with Kaj Arno, VP
Engineering at MySQL on "NoSQL databases, and Giuseppe Maxia, QA
developer at MySQL, on “the evolution of “non-relational databases”.

"On NoSQL technologies.Part I" is available for free download (PDF):
http://www.odbms.org/experts.aspx#article23

About ODBMS.ORG

ODBMS.ORG (www.odbms.org) is a vendor-independent,not-for-profit
educational program  on object database technology and the
integration between object-oriented programming and databases.
Designed by Prof. Roberto Zicari of Frankfurt  University, the
program's  goal is to promote and further the use of object
databases - by offering free resources  for  students, faculty
and researchers at universities and research centers, as well  as
for JAVA and .NET developers in the commercial and the open
source world. Content  is provided by a panel of internationally
recognized experts, who share research  articles and teaching
materials with the community via the organization's Web portal.

About ODBMS Industry Watch Blog

In his ODBMS Industry Watch Blog (www.odbms.org/blog/),
editor Prof. Roberto V. Zicari (ODBMS.ORG) muses about latest
trends in the industry. The blog includes his exclusive
series On_Innovation. The ODBMS Industry Watch Blog is part
of ODBMS.ORG.

 Contact ODBMS.ORG at editor@odbms.org.