couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Bronson <jabron...@gmail.com>
Subject 0.9 -> 0.10 view migration
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:23:15 GMT
Hello CouchDB Community! I'm Josh, and I'm one of the two programmers
working on melkjug.org (and related software). We've been running CouchDB in
production since last February, and as of this writing we've got six months
of the accumulated history of about 20,000 feeds in our Couch. (We have
history going back two years in cold storage.)

We've been running 0.9.0 since it came out, and would like to upgrade to
0.10.1. I knew 0.10 can read the 0.9 on-disk format, but I just learned from
Jan in #couchdb that 0.10 can read the 0.9 views also after running a simple
migration to shift the header in the view file, which is great news as it
means we won't have to rebuild the views from scratch, which would take a
long time.

I'd like to take a crack at writing this migration and of course will share
any progress I make with the community. But first I'm going to spend some
time just learning me some Erlang, so I thought I'd post here before I got
started in case anyone else in the community would find this useful and is
interested in working together.

Thanks!
Josh

P.S. Adam just backported view compaction to 0.9.2, which you can find at
http://github.com/kocolosk/couchdb/tree/0.9.2-and-view-compaction. This was
of interest to us because we've been unable to compact our views and didn't
want to incur the downtime of rebuilding them from scratch, so they're now
weighing in at 200G. (I suppose we could have replicated to another 0.9
Couch to avoid the downtime, but for some reason we didn't.) Anyway, if
you're still on 0.9 and you can't upgrade to 0.10 just yet, this will allow
you to compact your views online just like your databases. Thanks Adam!