couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <>
Subject Re: Increasing Spidermonkey version
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:38:51 GMT
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 18:58, Mikeal Rogers <> wrote:
> CouchDB currently uses Spidermonkey 1.7 as it's javascript interpreter.
> 1.7 was released in 2007. 1.8.5 is the current version number used in trunk,
> anything 1.8.1 should have tracing support and should be much improved in
> terms of performance.
> 1.8.x also has a lot of new JavaScript features that would be incredibly
> useful in views (array comprehensions would be a godsend).

There is no real SpiderMonkey (TraceMonkey) release after 1.7.

This is Mozilla bug, IIRC. I've been
asking them about it in their IRC channel. Apparently there is a point
man supposed to be working on it (though not Bob Clary, I think), I
talked to him a few weeks ago, when he said he'd get to it in a few
weeks' time.

I don't think it's a good idea to depend on unreleased SpiderMonkey
(e.g. something that was only released as an interpreter within

View raw message