couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running out of erlang processes.
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:22:52 GMT
> all_dbs = GET "/_all_dbs"
> for db in all_dbs:
>    sleep for a little bit
>    GET "/" + db

Eric,

Another thing to check is whether your client library is reusing
connections. Each open socket to the database creates a new Erlang
process, so if your client isn't reusing connections this could start
chewing up Erlang PID's unnecessarily. Couple that with a client that
also doesn't close the socket explicitly and a high connection limit
and you could start having a noticeable impact.

I'm still not the biggest fan of the system info patch in JIRA. Though
I'm less of an unfan rereading it now. I would be OK adding a
num_erlang_processes statistic to that stats module assuming that
erlang:system_info(process_count) isn't too costly.

HTH,
Paul Davis