couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems releasing 0.10.1 (nslater, back at you!)
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:27:21 GMT
On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Getting this error trying to run make distcheck:
[snip]
> prove test/etap/*.t
> Cannot determine source for test/etap/*.t at
> /usr/share/perl/5.10/App/Prove.pm line 496

Noah,

Short answer: not reproducible
Long answer: I hate make distcheck.

I spent a whole bunch of time trying to get make distcheck to do the
tests properly. It frustrated me greatly. Then I threw something. Then
I stopped caring because you have check as a dependency of distsign.

distcheck causes lots of weirdness because of its VPATH builds. This
causes lots of exciting issues. Basically, the long and short of it is
that make check never worked properly via make distcheck. When I
refactored couchjs and added js tests I fought a long grueling battle
with distcheck before being defeated and writing this in the root
Makefile.am:

check:
    if test -f "test/etap/001-load.t"; then \
        prove test/etap/*.t; \
    fi

Granted the newer version also had some js test stuff, but that's the
basic idea.

The two options I see are: I'll commit and backport that check to only
run prove when check is being run from a not VPATH build, or you can
spend a month or two trying to bring all tests into comfortable
compatibility with distcheck.

HTH,
Paul Davis