couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: libmozjs-dev conflicts with firefox on Ubuntu
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:40:30 GMT

On 24 Nov 2009, at 23:32, Noah Slater wrote:

> On 24 Nov 2009, at 22:51, Elliot Murphy wrote:
>
>> libmozjs is not available in the Ubuntu 9.10 environment, so the CouchDB package
is patched to build and run against xulrunner, where libmozjs.so is available. I don't know
all the details of this, but it's some sort of complication with the way spidermonkey releases
are made (or not made). You definitely don't want to install libmozjs on Ubuntu 9.10, as you
saw it will try to remove the world.

>> I'm know you know this already, but just so the search engines help the next person
out: the easiest way to get the correct build dependencies installed on Ubuntu (or Debian)
is "apt-get build-dep couchdb" and then you'll have all the right xulrunner-dev stuff installed
to be able to build from source.

> If I do this, will I need to hack any environment variables or anything else?

Nope, this does not work with a simple "./configure" which is a bit of a problem.

What do you suggest Ubuntu users do if they want to build CouchDB from source?

Having to hack around with stuff is undesirable.

If there is a patch to configure.ac someone wants to submit, I'd be happy to apply.

At the moment, we look in a bunch of standard directories for the dependancies, and we could
modify this.