couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: roadmap 0.11/1.0
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2009 00:28:41 GMT

On Nov 1, 2009, at 4:59 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2009, at 19:48, Chris Anderson wrote:
>> cron / event / changes handler
>>
>> Applications need to be able to trigger functionality in a periodic
>> or event-based way. We could probably piggyback on _changes heartbeat
>> to provide cron + event services. The idea is a design document
>> function ("event" or "cron" or maybe "trigger") that is called once
>> for each item in the changes feed.
>>
>> This is the one I'm least sure about, but I've heard a lot of people
>> request it. It's problematic because cron functionality isn't that
>> useful unless it has side-effects, which brings the whole sandbox/
>> http
>> question up again.
>
> We need this for 0.11 to allow continuous replication to survive
> server crashes.

+1 This is pretty much the only feature I want before 1.0.0.
Everything else in this thread so far isn't important enough to hold
up 1.0.0.

In my opinion, we should focus on fixing bugs, filling in small gaps
in the APIs, better testing and optimizations.

I think we should set a hard date for Feb 1 for feature freeze for a
0.11.0 branch. The next version, 0.11.0, once stabilized, should be
considered a release candidate, followed by 1.0.0 once proven stable
in production.

Once we branch for 0.11.0, All new features will be in trunk for
2.0.0, and might be included in a later 1.1.0 release if needed.

-Damien