couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Elliot Murphy <ell...@canonical.com>
Subject Re: libmozjs-dev conflicts with firefox on Ubuntu
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:51:13 GMT
On 11/24/2009 05:42 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On 24 Nov 2009, at 22:39, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Noah Slater<nslater@tumbolia.org>  wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> I'm just trying to prepare the release on a fresh Ubuntu 9.10 virtual machine,
and I've run into something rather strange. The libmozjs-dev library conflicts, through some
weird dependancy chain, with firefox. Has anyone run into this before? Any Ubuntu hackers
know what's going on here?

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Noah
>>
>> Afaik this is the usual xulrunner mess. On ubuntu CouchDB is build
>> against xulrunner. Don't remember exact path, but there is something
>> about it in ml.
>
> Found a matching bug report:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xulrunner/+bug/486079
>
> This is pretty serious IMO. CouchDB is now conflicting with Firefox and a bunch of other
things.

libmozjs is not available in the Ubuntu 9.10 environment, so the CouchDB
package is patched to build and run against xulrunner, where libmozjs.so
is available. I don't know all the details of this, but it's some sort
of complication with the way spidermonkey releases are made (or not
made). You definitely don't want to install libmozjs on Ubuntu 9.10, as
you saw it will try to remove the world.

I'm know you know this already, but just so the search engines help the
next person out: the easiest way to get the correct build dependencies
installed on Ubuntu (or Debian) is "apt-get build-dep couchdb" and then
you'll have all the right xulrunner-dev stuff installed to be able to
build from source.

The situation with libmozjs vs xulrunner in Ubuntu is somewhat confusing
and annoying for developers, and I have not yet worked out how I might
do something tangible to help improve things. At the Ubuntu Developer
Summit in Dallas last week I brought this up with Alexander Sack who up
until a few days ago was the Firefox/Mozilla maintainer in Ubuntu, and
he was going to try and put me in touch with the right people to figure
out how to improve things, but so far nothing meaningful to report.

--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/