couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: inner mechanics question
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:45:55 GMT
On Nov 16, 2009, at 6:40 AM, Vlad GURDIGA wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Again, I'm not sure whether it's a couchdb-dev@ or couchdb-user@ question.
>
> I wonder how _shows, _lists, _updates (and maybe others?) couch-side
> code is executed. Is there a single couchjs loaded on couch start and
> it is fed all the functions that are called thought URLs or there is a
> separate couchjs launched for every function?
>
> Just want to understand what's going on with my code...
>
> Thank you!

Hi Vlad, the reality is in between those two cases.  CouchDB keeps a pool of couchjs processes
running.  When one of these processes finishes executing a task it does not terminate, but
rather returns to an idle state and waits for the next command from Couch.  When a _show/_list/_update
call comes in, CouchDB grabs an idle couchjs, or spawns one if necessary.  It loads the code
that it wants executed and sends in the input data, then waits for a response.  Best,

Adam