couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Storing OAuth tokens in the users database
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:15:07 GMT
Hi all,

I created a branch* based on trunk that allows storing
of OAuth tokens, users and secrets in the users
database instead of the ini file / config system.

The design is pretty simple:

If you set the config var `use_users_db` to `true` in the
`couch_httpd_oauth ` section of your ini file, CouchDB
will look for all OAuth information inside the users database
for each OAuth request that comes in.

Internally, it creates a new design document with three
views that are called for authenticating each request.
Future versions could merge the three views to two or
one, but I kept it simple for now.

The branch comes with tests and all other tests still
run fine. I haven't done any heavy duty performance
analysis, but I hope Canonical can step in here (since
they can put this to good use on UbuntuOne).

There's also a special version of this branch** that is
based on 0.10.x + Canonical specific patches. Since
we won't put any new features in 0.10 and this
clearly is a new feature, I only propose this branch to
be merged into trunk / 0.11. The 0.10 version is still
available on my Github repo for educational purposes
(and Canonical of course).

I hope you can give the branch a closer look and tell
me if it looks like something we want to have merged
into trunk. Thanks for your time!

* http://github.com/janl/couchdb/tree/oauth-tokens-in-user-db

Cheers
Jan