couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: roadmap 0.11/1.0
Date Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:59:06 GMT

On 1 Nov 2009, at 19:48, Chris Anderson wrote:
> cron / event / changes handler
>
>  Applications need to be able to trigger functionality in a periodic
> or event-based way. We could probably piggyback on _changes heartbeat
> to provide cron + event services. The idea is a design document
> function ("event" or "cron" or maybe "trigger") that is called once
> for each item in the changes feed.
>
>  This is the one I'm least sure about, but I've heard a lot of people
> request it. It's problematic because cron functionality isn't that
> useful unless it has side-effects, which brings the whole sandbox/http
> question up again.

We need this for 0.11 to allow continuous replication to survive
server crashes. While we are at it, we should add means to
trigger compaction periodically or when certain limits are
reached (IIRC Adam mentioned a waste-factor for databases
to see when compaction is worth triggering). This would be
the first thing I'd start working for new features.

We also have a few open ends in the API that need
consolidation. e.g. making the show/list/update handler
more RFC2616 aware (sending Location e.g.). There's a
few more of these. We should probably work on them before
working on new half-baked features :)

--

Furthermore, more etap tests and a benchmarking suite
would be great.

Cheers
Jan