couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Website redesign
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2009 04:35:15 GMT
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 7:18 PM, maddiin <maddiin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> cinnebar wrote:
>>
>> Hi agree that excess and overkill is undesirable.  The content of the
>> graphics is still fluxy...still experimenting with ideas... and the set
>> online is gradually being updated... http://bit.ly/iItaQ
>> The oriental symbol is a Japanese symbol for couch and I have been using
>> it
>> because images cant be translated the way text can.  Do you think that the
>> use of this symbol would alienate American or European users or
>> compromises
>> the 'identity' of CouchDB?

Word! CouchDB's identity is pretty strong, and can be transmitted
through many media. The key is the replication story.

* I really like this thread because it reminds me of the early days of Rails.

One of the first things that really catapulted Rails into the
mainstream was DHH's screencast. With all our creative energy, if we
could start pushing it out to the world in the form of tutorials and
hello-world examples, Couch would be everywhere. The key is making it
super easy to get started.

I think a big part of Rails' early success was the website:

http://rubyonrails.org/

The design is less important than the content.

Having all the blog posts, wikis, videos, case-studies, IRC logs,
screen-casts, etc. available in a an easy-to-digest website, will make
no-hassle for newcomers, which is the most important thing.

I know a software package that makes making a website like that really
fun: CouchDB.

So go for it! Creating content is the most important thing. If we use
CouchApps to aggregate content, then we can all share our views of the
web via replication. Eventually as we overwhelm youtube, blogs, etc,
with how-to-use-CouchDB content, people will see how simple it is.

I think we can structure it all with hashtags and feeds, Jon Udell
style, and use CouchDB to persist and serve it. But really it doesn't
matter, as long as we make it easy for new arrivals to find just what
they need to know about CouchDB, while at the same time giving them a
taste of the "Relax" feeling.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson