couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Standalone CouchDB Applications without Javascript
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2009 17:44:45 GMT
On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Sven Helmberger
<sven.helmberger@gmx.de> wrote:
> Chris Anderson schrieb:
>>
>> I think the _update function can do this. It has access to the
>> userCtx, so it could redirect to the list of users's items, or
>> something. The point is you can programmatically control this, by
>> sending the correct headers in the response to an _update action.
>>
>> I think this accomplishes your goals. If not, then I want to know more
>> about your goals, because the motivation (pure HTML) is noble.
>>

> Yes, this basically seems to provide what I need, except for one thing: I
> can't send a PUT requests with pure HTML which means I can only create new
> or objects or completely overwrite them.
>
> I know it's not the way REST should work etc, but unfortunately browsers
> don't really care. So is there a possibility to at least optionally being
> allowed to POST to a _update function with docId instead of PUT?

You should be allowed to POST to an _update function with a docid as
well as PUT, heck you should be able to DELETE as well. I don't know
how I feel about GET as I'm not sure accidental side effects are
allowed.

OK. Checked the code and fixed it to be more flexible about verbs for _update:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?revision=829419&view=revision

The new code allows anything other than GET (which includes HEAD for us).

Sven, let me know if this solves your problem.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net