couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB in Ubuntu [was: Apache CouchDB 0.10. has been released]
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2009 03:16:48 GMT
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Elliot Murphy <elliot@canonical.com> wrote:
> On 10/13/2009 08:32 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 has been released and is available for download:
>>
>>     http://couchdb.apache.org/downloads.html
>>
>> This is the first beta release of CouchDB, so well done everyone to who
>> made that possible!
>
> This release was uploaded to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) a few hours ago,
> narrowly beating the final release freeze, so it will have a LOT of new
> users. We're putting the final touches on the server side of
> https://one.ubuntu.com and by the time Ubuntu 9.10 is released on
> October 29th every single Ubuntu user will have an address book stored
> in CouchDB that replicates with one.ubuntu.com, and Tomboy notes that
> are replicated via a web API at the application but then stored in
> CouchDB and carried along in the CouchDB replication that we have set
> up. Optionally they can also store all their Firefox bookmarks in
> CouchDB and have those replicated as well. We'll be doing our best to
> help teach application developers to use CouchDB in order to
> "cloud-enable" their apps. A couch on every desktop!

Thanks Elliot, and everyone at Ubuntu! I'm really excited to see what
people do with a local CouchDB. This means a lot for the project and
I'm honored to hear your praise for the community.

Thanks, devs - without people writing patches, there is no CouchDB.
This is an important time for the project - let's make sure to give
gentle introductions to the rush of new users.

Now is a great time to be writing "hello world" tutorials - we have a
unique opportunity to shape the future of the web, and the best way to
do that is to make it easy for new people to get up to speed and feel
their voice is heard in the project.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson