couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From cinnebar <xcinne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website redesign
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:38:35 GMT
On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:11 AM, maddiin <maddiin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I think all the fancy stuff like cars, horses or chinese (?) characters is
> unnecessary.

Hi agree that excess and overkill is undesirable.  The content of the
graphics is still fluxy...still experimenting with ideas... and the set
online is gradually being updated... http://bit.ly/iItaQ
The oriental symbol is a Japanese symbol for couch and I have been using it
because images cant be translated the way text can.  Do you think that the
use of this symbol would alienate American or European users or compromises
the 'identity' of CouchDB?

The CouchDB logo we have is pure awesome, there is no need to try to improve
> that.

The lettering could be improved though. That said, I like what you've done
> to “CouchDB” in the wiki graphic, maybe you could pick up the current logo (
> http://imgur.com/OarG7) and work on that?

I wasn't trying to improve the CouchDB logo at all!  I agree its pure
awesome.  The headers I have been making concerned with bonding the logo to
a page specific look and feel while referencing a lazily consistent
structure across a group of pages.  I guess the idea is to condense a whole
lot of information into a tiny and immediate amount of space, geared more
for new or infrequent users.  The file sizes now average somewhere between
10 to 20Kb, which isnt big for graphics.

As for the Relaxville logo, the name of the application makes me think of a
> downtown scenery full of relaxing people in relaxed positions, like hanging
> out in front of café's and working on their couches. This would only work in
> a big header and might be overkill, so a more simple version I could think
> of would be to expand the current CouchDB logo and add more seats and
> relaxed people sitting on it.

I like the idea of this graphic a lot but I am not sure it is relevant to
the feature set of the Relaxville app if that is important?   I don't have a
better idea for Relaxville.

I am looking forward to seeing the new wiki styling :)

I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers