couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Davies <ja...@jasondavies.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round
Date Sat, 10 Oct 2009 21:52:45 GMT

On 10 Oct 2009, at 11:28, Jason Davies wrote:

> On 8 Oct 2009, at 05:29, Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release,
>> second round.
>

> I'm getting intermittent failures on the "reduce" and "stats"
> tests.  The reduce test fails with "Assertion failed: db.info
> ().doc_count == (i - 1) * 10 * 11 + (j + 1) * 11".  The stats test
> fails with "Assertion 'should increase the request count for every
> request' failed: expected '28', got '26'".
>
> Platform: Mac OS X 10.6.1, Erlang R13B02 (erts-5.7.3) [source] [64-
> bit] [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]
>
> I tried recompiling Erlang without hipe and still got the same
> results.
>
> I'm guessing they are simply due to race conditions in the tests and
> aren't anything to worry about so I would be a +1 if someone else
> could comment on the nature of these failures.

OK, after investigating the reduce test further with X-Couch-Full-
Commit: true and discussing with Paul, I think the race conditions may
be due to the browser using a different socket to access the reduce
query after bulk-saving a number of docs.  As for why a different
Erlang process may not see the update immediately, this isn't clear.
The disk_size reported in the first (faulty response) query is also
incorrect compared to the second (correct response) query so it looks
like maybe the file descriptor is stale when the first reduce query
happens.

No-one else seems to have reproduced this so far.  It might help to
run CouchDB locally so that network delays don't mask the race
condition.

Thanks,
--
Jason Davies