couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Elliot Murphy <ell...@canonical.com>
Subject CouchDB in Ubuntu [was: Apache CouchDB 0.10. has been released]
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2009 02:38:14 GMT
On 10/13/2009 08:32 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 has been released and is available for download:
>
>     http://couchdb.apache.org/downloads.html
>
> This is the first beta release of CouchDB, so well done everyone to who
> made that possible!

This release was uploaded to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) a few hours ago,
narrowly beating the final release freeze, so it will have a LOT of new
users. We're putting the final touches on the server side of
https://one.ubuntu.com and by the time Ubuntu 9.10 is released on
October 29th every single Ubuntu user will have an address book stored
in CouchDB that replicates with one.ubuntu.com, and Tomboy notes that
are replicated via a web API at the application but then stored in
CouchDB and carried along in the CouchDB replication that we have set
up. Optionally they can also store all their Firefox bookmarks in
CouchDB and have those replicated as well. We'll be doing our best to
help teach application developers to use CouchDB in order to
"cloud-enable" their apps. A couch on every desktop!

I'd like to say thank you to the whole CouchDB developer community for
tirelessly hacking on such a cool project, and for the extra efforts
many of you have made to pull 0.10 together in time for the Ubuntu
release. It's risky building a new service that depends on beta
technology, but what I've seen from this project fills me with
confidence that we made the right choice for Ubuntu. Anyone working on
CouchDB who's interested is very welcome to attend the Ubuntu Developer
summit November 16-20 in Dallas: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDS-L

Ubuntu 10.04 is a long-term support release, which means we support it
for 3 years instead of 18 months, so we'll be more conservative about
what sorts of changes we make in that version. I mention this because
I'll be interested in knowing from the CouchDB development team whether
you want to have a CouchDB 0.11 release included in Ubuntu 10.04, so we
can do what makes the most sense for everyone. Here is a link to the
Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) release schedule:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule . The way I read the
release schedule, we'd need whatever version of CouchDB you want to have
in Ubuntu 10.04 released by March 4, 2010. But thats later, right now
the 0.10 release deserves a celebration!

--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/