couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Bisbee <sbis...@computervip.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB dump/load scripts
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:26:52 GMT
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 01:11:08PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> Official dump and load scripts are still useful though, but maybe not in
> very high demand.

I think the demand is actually higher than that - you're assuming that people
want to use the built in option. I can easily see people wanting to do
regularly scheduled dumps to local or remote non-couchdb. Do a back up to tape,
cd, back up machine that only runs ssh [or whatever], just to dump the dump in
an archive on the local file system, etc. Especially true as more and more IT
folk have to support couchdb: dumps are a familiar backup method and can easily
be integrated into existing systems, whereas they may have a harder time
integrating replication. Also nice to not have to support yet another system
(the backup needs a backup!).

p.s. I love me some replication.

--
Sam Bisbee