couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: POST/PUT on _show vs POST/PUT on _update + GET on _show
Date Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:55:05 GMT
On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Vlad GURDIGA <gurdiga@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Vlad GURDIGA <gurdiga@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It seams intuitive that _show actually shows you something and does
>>> not handle update actions.
>>>
>> I agre that it in this case show isn't a good word. maybe "_page"  and
>> then "_pages" for _list but that another debate.
>>
>>> On the other hand why would we need an _update thing? Doesn't CouchDB
>>> handle that itself?
>>> (Excuse me if the question is stupid, I was not on #couchdb at the
>>> time when this discussion took place.)
>>>

>> _upate allow you to handle any input before saving them in couch like
>> xml, csv whatever or it could be also use to post some doc without
>> requiring ajax to do it.
>
> To me, keeping the server simple (which also means less complicated
> and buggy) and fast looks like a very nice idea. Splitting the
> computation burden between clients and server looks to me like a fair
> enough trade this time.
>
> And, I believe that the several percent of the clients that do not
> speak AJAX or cannot produce JSON should not dictate such a big change
> in CouchDB.

The notion is that by allowing non JSON updates, we are available to a
wider range of clients without using a middle tier.

So in particular a browser with JavaScript turned off could make a
regular form post to an _update handler and it would manage parsing it
into JSON and saving it.

I'm not sure about whether update should be the same as _show - it may
be more restful in some cases, but as Jan mentioned, there are times
when a single update request might result in multiple documents, in
which case it's own resource makes more sense.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net