couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Vlad GURDIGA <gurd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: POST/PUT on _show vs POST/PUT on _update + GET on _show
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 04:34:18 GMT
On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Vlad GURDIGA <gurdiga@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>> I agre that it in this case show isn't a good word. maybe "_page"  and
>>> then "_pages" for _list but that another debate.

>>> _upate allow you to handle any input before saving them in couch like
>>> xml, csv whatever or it could be also use to post some doc without
>>> requiring ajax to do it.
>>
>> To me, keeping the server simple (which also means less complicated
>> and buggy) and fast looks like a very nice idea. Splitting the
>> computation burden between clients and server looks to me like a fair
>> enough trade this time.
>>
>> And, I believe that the several percent of the clients that do not
>> speak AJAX or cannot produce JSON should not dictate such a big change
>> in CouchDB.
>>

> The notion is that by allowing non JSON updates, we are available to a
> wider range of clients without using a middle tier.

Excuse me, can I ask: what clients are you thinking about?
And regarding middle-tier: wouldn't that _update logic be the middle
tier now when it sits between HTTP-client and DB?

> So in particular a browser with JavaScript turned off could make a
> regular form post to an _update handler and it would manage parsing it
> into JSON and saving it.

I'm a web-developer for a few years now and it seams to me that i's
not really serious to turn Javascript off in a Web 2.0 world. I think
that it's just a very few paranoid people that do that. Event fewer
browsers do not support Javascript at all.

Both of those groups will be gone anyway in a few years, this is why I
believe we should prepare for the future more apt clients.

> I'm not sure about whether update should be the same as _show - it may
> be more restful in some cases, but as Jan mentioned, there are times
> when a single update request might result in multiple documents, in
> which case it's own resource makes more sense.

Could you please give an example of such a scenario? I just want to be
sure that I get it right.

Thank you!