couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Vlad GURDIGA <>
Subject Re: POST/PUT on _show vs POST/PUT on _update + GET on _show
Date Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:37:39 GMT
On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Benoit Chesneau <> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Vlad GURDIGA <> wrote:
>> It seams intuitive that _show actually shows you something and does
>> not handle update actions.
> I agre that it in this case show isn't a good word. maybe "_page"  and
> then "_pages" for _list but that another debate.
>> On the other hand why would we need an _update thing? Doesn't CouchDB
>> handle that itself?
>> (Excuse me if the question is stupid, I was not on #couchdb at the
>> time when this discussion took place.)
> _upate allow you to handle any input before saving them in couch like
> xml, csv whatever or it could be also use to post some doc without
> requiring ajax to do it.

To me, keeping the server simple (which also means less complicated
and buggy) and fast looks like a very nice idea. Splitting the
computation burden between clients and server looks to me like a fair
enough trade this time.

And, I believe that the several percent of the clients that do not
speak AJAX or cannot produce JSON should not dictate such a big change
in CouchDB.

One reason I love CouchDB is it's simplicity. If we bring this
middle-tier-like functionality in, we will end up with something like
PHP, GCI, RoR, Java and millions of others in which you *have* to
process information in one more intermediate tier before being able to
put it into the DB.

View raw message