couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From thomas hallaran <thalla...@gmail.com>
Subject possible bug: http keep alive fails, new connection needed for every request
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:33:40 GMT
Hi all,
We are using couchdb in production and have come across what appears to be a
bug in the HTTP implementation. Apparently http keep alive requests are not
correctly supported by couchdb.

This problem has been verified for both couchdb .10 a running on  ubuntu
with erlang 13.b1 and couchdb .91 running on osx.  We have also reproduced
it with multiple http clients, the apache hc java client, curl and ab.

To Reproduce: ab -v 4 -k -n1
http://localhost:5984/{COUCHDB_GET_ENDPOINT}<http://localhost:5984/%7BCOUCHDB_GET_ENDPOINT%7D>times
out. If you add more requests for ab to do (-n4 or something) you will
see that rather than reusing the connection, each keepalive request times
out and then the connection is reopened and the request made.

The necessity of opening a new connection for each request is a pretty
significant performance issue.

In lieu of filing a bug with the apache issue tracker, for which signup is
currently broken - I am posting to this list in the hopes that someone can
verify this issue and perhaps file a bug report.
Tom