couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache sub-projects
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 06:23:48 GMT
On Fri 14 Aug 2009 21:50, Simon Metson <simonmetson@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> For example, a clear warning sign is when you start giving out
>>> commit rights to only certain subprojects.
>>
>> I don't understand this point.
>>
>> Why would any sub-project NOT have commit rights?
>
> I read this as "committer A is given commit for sub-project 1, but not
> the core project or sub-project 2" e.g. you want someone committing to
> a sub-project to be involved in the whole project not just their
> corner, and have one community not fragmented communities around the
> sub-projects...

This is exactly what I meant.

Now, it doesn't mean you _can't_ do this.  In fact, some projects have
different commit groups for documentation than for code.  But in
general, it's almost always better to make life simpler and have one
commit group.

Again, I don't want to tell you how to run CouchDB.  I just wanted to
give a little friendly insight.

--
   J. Aaron Farr
   馮傑仁