couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Wehner <stephanweh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Uneasiness with use of github for experimentation
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:31:35 GMT
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Jan Lehnardt<jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2009, at 15:13, Robert Dionne wrote:
>
>> Git really encourages a more distributed, less centralized approach to
>> development, that allows the centers of gravity to move as they evolve. This
>> is a good and healthy thing in many contexts, perhaps less so in others.
>>
>> I'm not sure what the issue is with respect to the CLA. What prevents you
>> from representing a contribution as your original work because it originated
>> in GitHub? How does playing in an internal Apache sandbox solve that?
>
> All ASF committers singed a CLA that says all work committed has been done
> by the committer or has gone through incubator IP clearance. If you get a
> patch on github, that is not your work, when you then commit that, you break
> the CLA. If you do sole development on github, no problem, but github
> encourages the code-collaboration.

I don't quite understand. To me  the solution is:

Then you shouldn't commit patches through git that are not based on your work?

The difference between git / subversion here is that git makes it
easier for others to
fork. But what goes into your repository is still under your control.

What am I missing?

Stephan

--
Stephan Wehner