couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache sub-projects
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 19:58:14 GMT
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 2:55 AM, Jan Lehnardt<jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18 Aug 2009, at 09:10, Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 02:38, Jan Lehnardt<jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Paul,
>>>
>> <snip/>
>>>
>>> Related:
>>>  - Do we want to foster plugins, extensions and other infrastructure
>>> software or do we want to rely on the non CouchDB open source world to
>>> come
>>> up with them?
>>
>> I think, that's the real question: What software does the CouchDB
>> project want to provide to its users as (a) product(s).
>> If you have the answer to that, you can still decide how to organize
>> it and how to call it.
>>
>> For example, Apache Lucene provides Lucene (a programming framework)
>> and Solr (a ready-to-go server). Both a complimentary.
>> More important, they nurse each other with new feature. This ain't no
>> one way street.
>
> Thanks, that's what I was trying to say.
>

>> If there is software which is really important in the CouchDB
>> ecosystem, I'd try to take them (code + people) onboard.
>
> +1

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm still digesting it and waiting to
hear what a few more of the committers think. I think this discussion
hasn't swayed my opinion about bringing on the sub-projects, but it
does raise interesting questions about the CouchDB-Lounge -> Erlang
Lounge transformation (that are independent of the sub-project
question, but still interesting...)

Chris

--
Chris Anderson