couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r804427 - in /couchdb/trunk: etc/couchdb/default.ini.tpl.in share/www/script/test/delayed_commits.js src/couchdb/couch_db.erl src/couchdb/couch_httpd_db.erl
Date Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:43:24 GMT
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 6:55 PM, <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: kocolosk
> Date: Sat Aug 15 01:55:32 2009
> New Revision: 804427

> Log:
> delayed commits are now a config option, off by default. Closes COUCHDB-449

I understand the value of this, but I'm not sure about whether it's
the best way to greet new users. In informal benchmarks just now,
delayed_commits makes CouchDB more than twice as fast. With
delayed_commits=true, hovercraft:lightning() does 100k docs in just
under 10 seconds. With the new default, it takes roughly 25 seconds.

We had this discussion once before, and came down on the side of speed
- what made us change our mind?

Chris

--
Chris Anderson