couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Character encodings and JSON RFC (spun off from COUCHDB-345)
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2009 05:33:14 GMT
IRC helped on this.

> What?! Heh.
>
> ISO-8859-1 is an encoding of (a small ass subset of which means not really at all) Unicode.
>
> UTF-8 is an encoding of (ALL) Unicode.

> Neither are valid versions of each other.

Well technically... If their both valid encodings of unicode, then
they're both valid encodings of each other. Just because you're
concerned about how the represent unicode doesn't mean we can't define
that ISO-8859-1's encoding table isn't encoding utf-8 representations
of code points. Granted this gets into up is down and left is right
territory. But you started it when saying that something that
represents a subset of unicode is a valid encoding. Which its not.
lrn2nyquistfrequency fool!

> Neither are content types, or media types, or MIME types.

Analogy fail.