couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache sub-projects
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 01:13:22 GMT
> My understanding is also that we want an official distribution to include
> couchdb-lounge style clustering. There's two ways to go about it: 1) put it
> all into the source tree and disable and enable features on build time
> (--enable-cluster) or 2) have separate trees (e.g. a core and a cluster add
> on) that can be used to create two releases (packaging time):
> couchdb-1.0.tar.gz and couchdb-with-cluster.tar.gz

Erlang should allow us the flexibility to make clustering a runtime
configuration. As you state, its can be thought of as a toolbox for
creating db environments. If people want to shed bits of the toolbox
to target a phone, then I think that's more of an end user concern.

>  - Do we want to ship whatever release (cluster or not or both) of CouchDB
> with a small ecosystem (Futon, CouchApp)?
>
> Futon is already in "core", sub-projecting it would be merely done to
> attract more Futon developers. Maybe that can be achieved in other ways,
> too.

I think making it easier for developers to start hacking on Futon
would be pretty awesome. Though I'd put it more in the realm of us
being creative instead of creating a full on sub project for it.

> I think CouchApp should be a packaging-time part of CouchDB and installed by
> default. This would add Python as a build dependency. Maybe we can make
> ./configure smart enough to not install CouchApp and give a warning when the
> necessary dependencies are not met. Maybe we just add to the final `make
> install` output "Now go and install CouchApp from ...".

It'd take a lot of convincing for me to be supportive of having
couchapp in an apache-couchdb tarball. Especially when `sudo
easy_install couchapp` is handy.

>  - Do we want to foster plugins, extensions and other infrastructure
> software or do we want to rely on the non CouchDB open source world to come
> up with them?
>
> I'd like to see a place like the Firefox extension development center but
> for CouchDB plugins hosted on http://couchdb.apache.org.

I think having a place for plugins would be great. Though I tend to
wonder what type of requirements there would be if we hosted plugins
at the ASF. Somehow I'd think that requiring a signed legal document
on file would stifle widespread growth of the community.

Paul Davis