couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ready for 0.10 Release?
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:14:35 GMT
> I'm quite prepared for someone to make a really good argument that convinces me
> otherwise, but for now, I don't think this is how our releases should work.

I definitely agree with your sentiment that we shouldn't just be
pushing untested features into releases and letting the user community
deal with any bugs that turn up, but I don't think that letting a
patch "simmer" is the right answer either. If you're want to only
include mature patches into a release, then we should settle on a way
to measure maturity.

The easiest method I can think of is making sure that features are
well tested before included into a release. I'd say that in general
we're not too bad on the testing front. There are a couple places that
we need to work on, and hopefully when the build bot instance comes up
I'll be able to start adding more tools to help us keep track of our
code  base.

That said, the specific Windows patch mostly affects the build system
and introduces a bit of Windows specific code. Once that patch lands I
reckon its going to be pretty obvious whether something broke or not.
And if we introduce a non-obvious bug the fastest way I can think of
triggering it would be to make a release.

So basically, "Release Early, Release Often"  [1].

HTH,
Paul Davis

[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html