couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache sub-projects
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 06:12:48 GMT
Sub-projects are a bad idea.

Been following this thread for awhile without being able to put my
concerns into small sentences. Each time I think about it I think
about how rapidly CouchDB is growing and how much that would hurt
sub-projects that are trying to keep up. And as others have said, we
should make sure that CouchDB doesn't turn into a namespace for
sub-projects.

Personally, I think CouchApp should be very frightened of becoming an
ASF project of any sort. My guess is that the stability/agility trade
off is just too serious. I think adding a CouchApp page on
http://couchdb.apache.org would be good, but adding CouchApp traffic
to the bug tracker or mailing lists would make me want to throw twice
as much stuff.

couchdb-lounge should never be a sub-project. Implementing it in
Erlang is going to touch more bits than most people consider. It'll
end up being unavoidable not having it part of the default
distribution. Trying to pull in the entire project as it is and the
replace it piece by piece is not going to work. We should keep it like
it is, a reference implementation that we hope to achieve in the
default CouchDB distribution.

The only project I could even consider being a sub-project is
couchdb-lucene. Though for roughly the same reasons as CouchApp I'd
probably rather see it as a separate project and just include it on
our website ecosystem. Both projects are public-api compatibile and as
others have stated, they'll either stay compatible or die.

And with all that, we're an Alpha (or Beta), pre-1.0 software project.
Now is not the time for adding bureaucracy to release procedures. We
should be focused on removing obstacles to making good software and
adding sub-projects seems like a good way to cause us a crap load of
pain in the future.

Faster not slower.

Paul Davis