couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Maven/Maven repo (Re: Dependencies in SVN)
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2009 18:39:20 GMT
> But argument by assertion is neither helpful, meaningful, or polite.
>
> Curt is doing us a huge favour for us by spotting these problems, explaining
> some of the possible solutions, and dedicating his personal time to evaluating
> their suitability for the project.

Maybe its just me but I haven't the slightest what problem this thread
is trying to solve. Why would we even think about removing our runtime
dependencies from SVN? I know someone suggested it in thread this
conversation forked from but I never read discussion about why this
would be good or necessary.

Unless the incubator finds some smoking gun in ibrowse (which I highly
doubt given its popularity) or in erlang-oauth (which I highly doubt
because its tiny) I don't see a reason to remove any code from SVN. If
there is a valid issue that I missed along the way, then lets take a
step back and see what we can do to address that.

And to Maven: Its a huge dependency for something that could be done
with curl (which is already a dependency). Its a huge social barrier
to the sizable portion of our community that actively avoids Java. It
doesn't as near as I can tell address any of the issues raised in the
parent thread. Java dependencies creeping into the code would just be
more barriers to get CouchDB running everywhere. And these are just
the ones I can fit into short sentences.

HTH,
Paul Davis