couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git at the ASF: (Was: Re: Uneasiness with use of github for experimentation)
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 18:49:42 GMT

> I read the "I would very be very excited to see hosted git repositories for
> ASF
> contributors" as " ASF committers. I don't know if that was implied or not.

I was thinking more like: "Github on ASF hardware". So that instead of
submitting patches to JIRA we have people sign up for an ASF git repo
and push patches that way. Just a thought.

> In general, I don't see an issue, if the committers make sure they act under
> the CLA (i.e. don't include outside patches) with us working on Github.
> Contributions must go through JIRA after a Github development has been put
> into an ASF SVN branch (or trunk).

I don't think there's an issue, i was just trying (failing? :) to
describe that some sort of infrastructure that allowed a distributed
workflow could end up providing vastly more oversight of contributions
than email or JIRA and the svn commits list. Its all very hand wavy
though.

Paul Davis