couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache sub-projects
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:23:22 GMT
2009/8/14 Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org>:
> Many Apache projects have sub-projects, for two good example see:
>
> http://hadoop.apache.org/ which has 9 sub-projects
>
> http://lucene.apache.org/ which has 10
>
> I think one benefit of having sub-projects is broadening the
> community. I think it also helps to give people looking at CouchDB for
> the first time an easier way to see some of the really cool tools and
> libraries it's offers.
>
> Also, I think it sounds relaxing. Being able to keep an eye on a more
> of the Apache-licensed CouchDB ecosystem in one repository I think
> will result in stronger code.
>
> I'd like to see a few projects out there become sub-projects, and
> maybe there are others we should include as well. Here's a list of 3:
>
> The CouchDB-Lounge project provides a CouchDB clustering via a smart
> HTTP proxy. I can see bringing that code in, and using it as a
> scaffold for our Erlang clustering infrastructure. If we do it right,
> deployments will have wide flexibility over which tools to use to
> scale CouchDB, being able to mix, say, CouchDB-Lounge's consistent
> hashing nginx-proxy for document CRUD, but use Erlang view merger or
> other cluster-optimized view engine. If someone is already a heavy
> nginx shop, but doesn't want to merge views in twisted python, they
> could see benefits to a mix and match architecture.
>
> Informally I asked Kevin Ferguson of CouchDB-Lounge if they'd be
> interested and he said it sounds great.
>
> CouchApp is a set of scripts to make deploying CouchDB design
> documents easy. I've been involved in it for a while, and Benoit has
> put a lot of time into it. The tool and the JavaScript framework it
> goes with are starting to have a community, and should gain more
> interest when the O'Reilly book goes to press. Benoit Chesneau is
> excited about bringing CouchApp into the CouchDB project.
>
> CouchDB-Lucene is another good candidate. I haven't asked Robert
> Newson yet what he thinks about it, but I think the project would be a
> good fit.
>
> There may be more candidates I'm missing, or maybe people will think
> I'm batty for having the idea in the first place... comments welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>

> --
> Chris Anderson
> http://jchrisa.net
> http://couch.io

Having Couchapp as a CouchDB subproject would be great. Imho using
apache infrastructure for bugs and release process is good for users
and developpers. Also since couchapp and other projects mentionned
here are dependant on couchdb and sometimes require changes/evolution
from CouchDB I think it's good to have all of them together.

So yest, that should be good! :)

-benoit