couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Uneasiness with use of github for experimentation
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:21:04 GMT

On 6 Aug 2009, at 15:13, Robert Dionne wrote:

> Git really encourages a more distributed, less centralized approach
> to development, that allows the centers of gravity to move as they
> evolve. This is a good and healthy thing in many contexts, perhaps
> less so in others.
>
> I'm not sure what the issue is with respect to the CLA. What
> prevents you from representing a contribution as your original work
> because it originated in GitHub? How does playing in an internal
> Apache sandbox solve that?

All ASF committers singed a CLA that says all work committed has been
done by the committer or has gone through incubator IP clearance. If
you get a patch on github, that is not your work, when you then commit
that, you break the CLA. If you do sole development on github, no
problem, but github encourages the code-collaboration.

> It's important to recognize that not everyone in the CouchDB
> community is necessarily part of the Apache community. Some are just
> friendly visitors.

Only members of the Apache community (note: note ASF Members), can
commit code to ASF SVN.

Cheers
Jan