couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: replication patches and new _ensure_full_commit feature
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:18:43 GMT
Ok, finally merged everything into 0.10.x.  The extra patches rnewson
referred to are

r807473: disable gen_server timeouts for internal replication processes
r807477: fix a process leak in local changes feed consumer

I merged these in, too.  Best, Adam

On Aug 25, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Robert Newson wrote:

> +1
>
> The improvements are huge. There are other fixes since this thread
> started that finally allowed my stress test to pass, I think they all
> should go into 0.10.
>
> B.
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Damien Katz<damien@apache.org> wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> On Aug 24, 2009, at 11:26 PM, Adam Kocoloski wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all, I committed a good bit of replication-related code today and
>>> wanted to check with the list regarding the 0.10 branch.  Here's
>>> what I
>>> changed ..
>>>
>>> one flat-out bugfix,
>>> r807308, r807354: more precise and accurate calculation of
>>> replication
>>> progress
>>>
>>> one new feature that could be classified as a bugfix depending on
>>> your
>>> point-of-view,
>>> r807342, r807345: follow 302 redirects during replication
>>>
>>> and two significant performance improvements (thanks rnewson for
>>> all the
>>> stress testing):
>>> r807320, r807360: checkpoint at most once per 5 seconds
>>> r807208, r807459, r807461: minimize the number of full commit
>>> operations
>>>
>>> There's another new feature hiding in that last set of commits,
>>> namely the
>>> ability to do a restricted full commit
>>>
>>> POST /db/_ensure_full_commit?seq=N
>>>
>>> which guarantees that everything up to and including update_seq N
>>> will be
>>> synced to disk.  This is a weaker guarantee than a vanilla
>>> _ensure_full_commit, and as a result it can be much faster in
>>> certain
>>> situations (e.g. replication from a server experiencing a heavy