couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project description
Date Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:18:30 GMT

On 2 Aug 2009, at 23:11, Noah Slater wrote:

> Hey,
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 12:03:19PM +1000, Nicholas Orr wrote:
>> I'd suggest removing the word "but" and make it "and":
>
> Good point.
>
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 10:24:34PM -0500, Curt Arnold wrote:
>> The intention of the sentence is that potential users should not be
>> discouraged from using CouchDB due to its implementation language.
>> Using "and" loses that sense.
>
> I don't think so, see below.
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 06:21:51AM -0400, Robert Dionne wrote:
>> seems to me like Erlang is a selling point for some folks. The
>> sentence
>> reads as if the project is apologizing for it's use of Erlang. The
>> key
>> point is the use of HTTP so perhaps the mention in that sentence of
>> Erlang ought to be dropped entirely:
>
> Good point.
>
>> As the API is REST-ful any client environment that supports HTTP can
>> access a CouchDB database. The database engine is implemented in
>> Erlang,
>> a highly robust scalable functional programming language ideal for
>> building distributed systems. The use of Erlang has made for a
>> simple yet
>> flexible design that is readily extensible and easily integrates with
>> other server processes.
>
> Okay, I've reworked some of this. Thanks.
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 08:55:15PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> that'd make the list JS and Erlang, still not "any other language" :)
>> I just want to be careful what we announce as being supported.
>> Some people reported unhappiness that we have lucene on the
>> architecture diagram post-it.
>
> Hmm, but I still think we should mention the possibility.

CouchDB has a lot of features that are not in that list. I don't think
non-JS view server language implementations are "A-list" features.
Besides, the current statement is too easy to falsify. We'd need to
define "any pluggable language" as "every language anyone wrote
a complete query server implementation" which can be seen as
a far stretch (of which only the JS and Erlang server pass all
specs).

I'm just trying to not end up with false claims people will use against
us or CouchDB. I appreciate the work and attention to detail you are
(as usual) putting into this.

Cheers
Jan