couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: Ready for 0.10 Release?
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:14:15 GMT
I've tested with this quite a bit now and it's much faster, in some
cases 4 times, but it is sensitive to both doc size and batch sizes so
in some cases the speed may only be about 4-10% better. It's
definitely much improved in the file footprint resulting in faster
compaction also.

It's interesting to note that a good amount of the speed improvement
comes from a reduced number of calls to couch_util:to_hex because it's
only used for the prefix and not for every id as it is in the
new_uuid() case. In one of the hovercraft tests I ran this method was
cut from 36% to 25% of the run time. You can see this using eprof.
This method is also used in the rev stuff so it's a good candidate to
look at for optimization.

So I"m +1 on this, but I think the other devs ought to noodle it some
to double check it conceptually, .ie. that we have global uniqueness
and it won't present issues elsewhere. Definitely a nice hack.

Cheers,

Bob