couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Uneasiness with use of github for experimentation
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 15:40:51 GMT
On Aug 6, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Stephan Wehner wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Jan Lehnardt<jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 6 Aug 2009, at 15:13, Robert Dionne wrote:
>>
>>> Git really encourages a more distributed, less centralized
>>> approach to
>>> development, that allows the centers of gravity to move as they
>>> evolve. This
>>> is a good and healthy thing in many contexts, perhaps less so in
>>> others.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what the issue is with respect to the CLA. What
>>> prevents you
>>> from representing a contribution as your original work because it
>>> originated
>>> in GitHub? How does playing in an internal Apache sandbox solve
>>> that?
>>
>> All ASF committers singed a CLA that says all work committed has
>> been done
>> by the committer or has gone through incubator IP clearance. If you
>> get a
>> patch on github, that is not your work, when you then commit that,
>> you break
>> the CLA. If you do sole development on github, no problem, but github
>> encourages the code-collaboration.
>
> I don't quite understand. To me  the solution is:
>
> Then you shouldn't commit patches through git that are not based on
> your work?
>
> The difference between git / subversion here is that git makes it
> easier for others to
> fork. But what goes into your repository is still under your control.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Stephan

Hi Stephan, I think you've got it.  If someone sends me a pull request
on GitHub, I can't apply the patch to some feature I'm working on and
then commit the result to ASF SVN.  I have to ask that the patch be
submitted to JIRA (where the submitter explicitly selects an ASF
license) instead.

I hope that as long as all the committers are clear on the ground
rules we can continue to develop on git/github.  I'm too enamored of
distributed version control to go back to SVN branches willingly.

Adam