couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rog...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Uneasiness with use of github for experimentation
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 18:12:20 GMT
A CLA is required for any contribution, even patches. An SVN
repository doesn't inherently fix this as patches can still be sent to
committers over email and then checked in. While it's true git
encourages more distributed workflows it's still the responsibility of
committers to make sure all contributions are contributed under a CLA
whether they come through svn, git or osmosis.

I'm skeptical that an apache lab repository would really be "under the
oversight" of anybody since few would be watching it outside of those
contributing to it which I assume are the same people currently
working in github.

Github does have he advantage of allowing *other* people to use this
code easily and modify it for their own uses before it's made it in to
the main line repository, even if those contributions don't make it
back upstream because of CLA issues they are still providing some
level of testing and stability checking over the work.

-Mikeal