couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject replication patches and new _ensure_full_commit feature
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2009 03:26:56 GMT
Hi all, I committed a good bit of replication-related code today and
wanted to check with the list regarding the 0.10 branch.  Here's what
I changed ..

one flat-out bugfix,
r807308, r807354: more precise and accurate calculation of replication
progress

one new feature that could be classified as a bugfix depending on your
point-of-view,
r807342, r807345: follow 302 redirects during replication

and two significant performance improvements (thanks rnewson for all
the stress testing):
r807320, r807360: checkpoint at most once per 5 seconds
r807208, r807459, r807461: minimize the number of full commit operations

There's another new feature hiding in that last set of commits, namely
the ability to do a restricted full commit

POST /db/_ensure_full_commit?seq=N

which guarantees that everything up to and including update_seq N will
be synced to disk.  This is a weaker guarantee than a vanilla
_ensure_full_commit, and as a result it can be much faster in certain
situations (e.g. replication from a server experiencing a heavy
batch=ok write load).

I'd like to merge all of these into the 0.10 branch if that abides by
our release policies. Best,

Adam