couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Cryptography in CouchDB
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:08:49 GMT
On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 16:23, Damien Katz<damien@apache.org> wrote:
> Based on similar HTTP client libraries, it looks like we do need the export
> restrictions, which really bums me out.
>
> I'll take care of this next week.

It's not that bad I think.
(Thankfully, I'm not living under U.S. legislation, plus I am not a
lawyer, but) as I understand it, anyone exporting software from the
U.S. is subject to these regulations related to cryptography etc. What
the ASF provides is just a /classification/ to help our users see
where these regulations might apply. They have to check for themselves
anyway when they export. So the notification which is filed with US
administration does not restrict distribution of CouchDB any more than
it is restricted anyway without the notification.

The process is as lean as can be: just one patch to an xml file + one email.
People at infra or legal should be able to help you out, our just feel
free to contact me if you need help with this.

Relax,

  Bernd