couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Apache sub-projects
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 07:10:37 GMT
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 02:38, Jan Lehnardt<jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Paul,

<snip/>

> Related:
>  - Do we want to foster plugins, extensions and other infrastructure
> software or do we want to rely on the non CouchDB open source world to come
> up with them?

I think, that's the real question: What software does the CouchDB
project want to provide to its users as (a) product(s).
If you have the answer to that, you can still decide how to organize
it and how to call it.

For example, Apache Lucene provides Lucene (a programming framework)
and Solr (a ready-to-go server). Both a complimentary.
More important, they nurse each other with new feature. This ain't no
one way street.

If there is software which is really important in the CouchDB
ecosystem, I'd try to take them (code + people) onboard.

Just my to two eurocents,

  Bernd