couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: continuous replication API discussion
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 23:42:55 GMT

On 18 Aug 2009, at 10:44, Simon Metson wrote:

>> I wouldn't completely replace the current .ini configuration files
>> with a database -- I think there's real value in being able to
>> change some settings without the server running.
>
> Agreed, there are certain classes of configuration data you'd want
> in a database and others you'd want in an ini. Whether you want to
> easily replicate it is probably a good guide where it should go...

We can't have all settings in the DB. It is possible to render CouchDB
unusable by changing some config values and then you'd have no way to
fix it again. we need the ini files for that.

I see a database for "jobs" in CouchDB though. Something that
continuous replication jobs can be stored in, but I can also see jobs
that keep view indexes up to date asynchronously so apps can run on
stale=ok only.

But maybe we don't even need that for 0.10? I'd be happy to ship with
the ability to trigger continuous replication on server startup that
doesn't survive restarts and leave that to the user for the time being
until we figured out a good way to do the config db.

Cheers
Jan