couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Elliot Murphy <ell...@canonical.com>
Subject Re: Uneasiness with use of github for experimentation
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 12:11:29 GMT
On 08/06/2009 08:42 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Mikeal Rogers<mikeal.rogers@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> A CLA is required for any contribution, even patches.
>>
>> You mean that we need to go find every person that's ever put a patch
>> on JIRA and get them to sign a legal document?
>
> JIRA has a checkbox that is an in-place CLA for patches in JIRA.

Having that checkbox is fantastic. Just to provide some perspective
about how I'm managing CLA agreements for projects I'm managing using
DVCS and people are proposing branches rather than attaching patches:

I have a -contributors team in launchpad, and whenever someone signs the
CLA (as simple as sending an email) I add them to the -contributors
team. I (actually the merge bot) only merge branches from people who
sign the CLA. But, nobody is required to get commit access in order to
create a branch and experiment - commit access to trunk doesn't matter
since it's trivial for anyone to create their own branch to play with
and discuss.

I'm not sure whether there is a team facility in github that could do
the same thing. I hope these ideas are useful for helping find a way to
maintain proper oversight that contributions are properly assigned
without discouraging the use of code collaboration tools.

-elliot