couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Elliot Murphy <ell...@canonical.com>
Subject Re: Uneasiness with use of github for experimentation
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 11:53:13 GMT
On 08/06/2009 02:21 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2009, at 15:13, Robert Dionne wrote:
>
>> Git really encourages a more distributed, less centralized approach to
>> development, that allows the centers of gravity to move as they
>> evolve. This is a good and healthy thing in many contexts, perhaps
>> less so in others.
>>
>> I'm not sure what the issue is with respect to the CLA. What prevents
>> you from representing a contribution as your original work because it
>> originated in GitHub? How does playing in an internal Apache sandbox
>> solve that?

Using svn doesn't solve it at all. Using a DVCS makes it easier for
people to collaborate, and the problem is just in being diligent that
copyright assignment is handled properly. Two people collaborating on
github or launchpad is exactly the same as two people sitting behind a
keyboard pair programming, except that it records the fact that you
wrote some of the lines and I wrote some of the lines, a fact that is
often ignored when collaborating in person. If we were collaborating in
person, one of us would submit the patch as their original work. If we
were collaborating remotely and you had a commit in the middle of my two
commits now the tools induce pangs of conscience. The answer is easy -
both people should sign the CLA and get on with life, not go back to
using archaic tools.

> All ASF committers singed a CLA that says all work committed has been
> done by the committer or has gone through incubator IP clearance. If you
> get a patch on github, that is not your work, when you then commit that,
> you break the CLA. If you do sole development on github, no problem, but
> github encourages the code-collaboration.
>

>> It's important to recognize that not everyone in the CouchDB community
>> is necessarily part of the Apache community. Some are just friendly
>> visitors.
>
> Only members of the Apache community (note: note ASF Members), can
> commit code to ASF SVN.

It's Necessary And Good for CouchDB committers to be diligent about
ensuring that all patches they commit have proper copyright assignment
via whatever mechanism ASF uses for tracking assignment.

However, discouraging use of distributed version control systems and
social code collaboration platforms (github/gitorius/bitbucket/launchpad
) is really terrible. Even if I were an ASF member, I would *never* use
svn. I have a continuous import of couchdb svn into launchpad/bzr, and I
use that for any experimentation, then attach patches to the issue
tracker or mailing list. Watching a centrally controlled commits list is
 not a good way to keep track of experimentation happening around the
edges of a project, it's a good way to keep track of what is landing in
trunk.

Telling people not to use DVCS and social code collaboration sites is a
real step back into the dark ages. My productivity and that of the
engineers I work with skyrocketed when I switched to a DVCS many years
ago (BitKeeper), and it skyrocketed again when I moved all my work to
Launchpad - I can imagine the same is true for people using Github.
*Any* project that I work on, the first thing I do is import all the
code (including CVS/SVN/git/mercurial projects) into launchpad, then
work on branches there, and then submit the patches back however the
project prefers to get the patches.

-elliot